Do Doorbell Cameras Record All the Time?
A doorbell camera is most ideal for round-the-clock surveillance of your front door. For this, you will have to set up the camera to record all the time. But, in practice, most of the doorbell cameras are set to record for a few seconds triggered by motion detection.
As you see, doorbell cameras have become popular ever since it was introduced in 2013 by Ring, which was purchased by Amazon in 2018. Several other brands followed Ring and successfully introduced their own versions of doorbell cameras in recent years.
Thanks to innovation and improved performance, today video doorbell cameras are in great demand as other security cameras. And, some homeowners find them even better than security cameras for many reasons.
1. Simple and Easy to Install
First off, Video Wireless Doorbells are simple and easy to install. And they work independently of other external devices. Practically, it is built into your front door, adding value to home security.
2. Same Features of a standard security camera
A video doorbell offers the same features and functionality as a standard security camera, including 1080p video, two-way audio, motion detection, night vision, etc. And you can use them to the fullest benefits in your daily life. For instance, you can instantly recognize a visitor at your door by simply glancing at your mobile, which is connected to your WiFi.
3. More Visibility & Deterring Effect
A doorbell camera can deter a thief from committing a crime in a house with a doorbell camera. No doubt you can’t fully judge a criminal’s mindset in a given context. But generally, thieves better avoid a well-guarded home, and a doorbell camera signals the presence of a security mechanism there.
Although this applies to all security cameras, doorbell cameras are more effective in discouraging the thief. Because they are easily visible than a security camera mounted overhead.
The doorbell camera should be the first thing that captures the attention of a thief approaching your front door. And the front doors are the common means of thieves to break in as they are relatively easy.
4. Capture Visitors’ Face
Another advantage is that doorbell cameras can catch critical passageways clearly. Because the doorbell is normally fixed on the door frame approximately 48 inches above the ground. And the visitor walks straight into the direction of the camera showing his face.
Compared to this, a standard security camera fixed some 9ft above the ground and mostly captures the visitor’s head than his face. And if the visitor is with a head cap, the camera won’t get a chance to capture his face.
5. Valuable Footage
Like in the case of security cameras, the doorbell cameras can provide valuable footage of what is happening at your front door. For instance, if anyone approaching the door, you will be alerted instantly. You can recognize the visitor, confirm the delivery by the courier staff, or prevent package thefts from your yard, etc. Besides accessing the videos, you can also download them for future reference.
6. More Pleasing Look
A doorbell camera is an excellent tool to integrate into your home security and it can add value to a Smarthouse.
Having said that, there are certain limitations to the doorbell cameras compared to standard security cameras. For Instance, the main drawback is that doorbell’s field of view is limited and fixed. So, there is a chance for a clever crook to move along the blind side of the camera’s view path.
Another problem is related to the issue of the super-sensitive motion detectors often causing false alarms. Similarly, some units are also not sufficiently weather-resistant.
7 Best Video Doorbell Cameras
- 1080p HD video quality
- On-demand video
- Two-way audio with noise cancellation
- Advanced Motion Detection with Adjustable Motion Zones
- 160° horizontal, 84° vertical Field of View
- 2.4 and 5.0 GHz wifi connectivity
- Removable, rechargeable battery pack
- Can be hardwired to an existing doorbell system
- Weather-Resistant–20.5°C to 48.5°C
- One-year limited warranty and support
- Dimensions-128mm x 62mm
Ring Video Doorbell 3 camera is an upgraded version with extra security features such as improved motion detection and enhanced wifi. This version has 2.4GHz and 5GHz dual-band wifi connectivity. With stronger signal you get alerts faster – so you’ll always know what’s happening at your front door even sooner.
- 180 Degree Viewing Angle
- 2.4 GHz WiFi
- Resolution:1536 x 1536 HD
- 2-Way Audio- (full-duplex audio)
- Night Vision- & Built-in Alarm
- AES-128 Bit Encryption
- HDR imaging
- 1:1 Aspect Ratio
- Works with Amazon Alexa
- Pre-Recorded Messages
- Cloud- Subscription with 3-Months Trial
- Dimensions: 1.8 x 1 x 1.5 inches
- Item Weight: 4 Ounces
Arlo Wide-angle doorbell camera comes with 180 Degree Viewing Angle and Front Door Optimized 1:1 Aspect Ratio. This allows you to see a person from head to toe or a package on the ground. Obviously, it always gives a clearer picture of the front -door activity.
- Wired Video Doorbell
- 2.4Ghz WiFi
- Resolution 2K
- Storage Local Storage-4 GB
- Communication 2-Way Audio
- Night Vision IR supported
- Privacy AES 256-Bit data encryption
- Image Clarity HDR imaging
- Image Aspect Ratio 4:3 Aspect Ratio
- Integration Amazon Alexa & Google Assistant
- Interaction Pre-Record 3 instant responses
- Dimensions: 4.8 x 1.69 x 0.94 inches
- Item Weight 3.2 ounces
Eufy 2K Wireless Smart Doorbell is a comprehensive safety solution for your home. The doorbell has everything you can expect; 2K video, 2-way audio, night vision, great view angle, local storage, no subscription bill, and a great app to manage it.
- 1080p HD video with two-way talk
- 2.4Ghz & 5.0GHz WiFi
- 4- Seconds Pre-Roll video
- Work with select Alexa-enabled devices
- Communication 2-Way Audio
- Night Vision IR supported
- Removable rechargeable battery pack
- Advanced motion detection with motion alerts
- 1080p video quality
- 180º wide angle
- infrared Night vision
- 2-way Audio
- Customizable motion zones
- Adjustable motion sensors
- Instant push notifications
- Works with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and IFTTT
- Powered by existing doorbell wiring
- 2K resolution & WDR
- 4:3 Aspect Ratio
- Efficient Human detection
- Customized Detection
- AES-256 data encryption
- Dual power option: Built-in Battery or Existing Doorbell Wiring
- 16GB/4.5GB storage options On HomeBase
- Slim Design
- 1080P video quality
- 2.4 GHz WIFI
- 2-Way Audio
- 180 degrees PIR motion detector
- Package Dimensions: 6.54 x 4.88 x 2.28 inches
- Item weight: 7 ounces
- Battery-powered- 4 AA Batteries