Can Wireless Cameras Work Without Internet?
This is a common question. The answer is Yes. Security cameras can work without internet.
You can use both analog and IP security cameras without using wifi or internet.
When it comes to IP cameras, we get the impression that they depend on an internet connection to operate correctly.
This is wrong; the view is more out of the word ‘IP ‘ in the name.
Security cameras without the internet can still do video surveillance. They can record the video locally.
Here the point is that when IP camera system is used without the internet, you are setting up what is called Closed-circuit Television, or CCTV.
Advantages of Analog Cameras
- Relatively cheap and therefore cost-effective when buying too many
- Simple to install and easy to run
- Can convert the recording into digital with the help of a digital video recorder (DVR)
- Some DVRs also allow digital broadcasting of the video signal, thus acting like a network camera
Disadvantages of Analog cameras
- Limited frame rate and therefore are not perfect in capturing motion fully
- Low quality of images, which often appear blurry
- Can not be seen in zoom mode
- Coverage area is limited. A typical analog camera can capture footage at up to half a megapixel
- Needs cabling. You need cabling for each individual camera
- Data can’t be encrypted
Today IP cameras are dominating the market for multiple reasons. let’s see the benefits of IP security cameras as a home security solution
- Cover a better field of view-Means you can restrict the number of cameras
- Can capture footage up to 3 megapixels
- Share a large amount of visual data
- Can record at a higher resolution.
- Can use Power over Ethernet (PoE) for power connection- means lesser cabling
- IP camera CCTV uses a network video recorder (NVR),
- IP cameras are able to cover a better field of view
- Enhances security as the video can be encrypted
Disadvantages of IP Cameras
- Higher initial investment on IP Cameras
- Storage challenges as IP cameras are higher resolution and need larger space
- Takes time to familiarize with the technicality of IP cameras